*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

What has been left behind..

Discussion in 'Loss of Both Parents' started by Sunkissedset, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Sunkissedset

Sunkissedset New Member

Hi, my name is Sarah... and my life was turned upside down on October 13th, 2003 when I learned my mother had passed away... I was 8 years old..
    Having no one to lean on (because everything moved so fast after her passing) I never learned how to process death in a positive light.
    My father was sentenced to prison less than 6 months after my mother died...
    So my paternal grandparents took guardianship over my brother (3), sister (6) and myself (9).
    My grandparents didnt know what they were in for. My siblings and I acted out because we had no idea what was going on.. little did we know that the judge demanded my father have no contact with us when he was in prison...
    Less than 5 years after my mothers passing, on April 21st, 2008... my dad died... I saw his dead body... it still haunts me.
    Things never got better... my grandparents pushed us away emotionally, we had zero emotional support and felt alone..
    I've never had anyone to talk to about loss before. I'm now 24 years old and I still feel the same pain as I did as a 13 year old...
    My emotions can not be pent up anymore because it could lead to my death. I'm scared.. and I just miss my mom and dad.
    I'm left in the dark without answers to a million questions. I'm going to lose it.

2. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Hi Sarah, I'm so sorry for your losses and all the hurt that has been left behind. Loss can be difficult at any age, but to experience so much, when you're so young, and then to feel that you have no one to confide in or talk to just makes it so much more challenging. Many people struggle to find good support in their lives, even when they have people in it. This site was created for just that reason and I hope you can find some help here.
    In the meanwhile, know that it's never too late to build or rebuild and find strength in ourselves. You've had to count on yourself for too long, so it may take some time, and good interactions with others to know that you don't have to do it all on your own. Perhaps a local support group or counselor could be a good place to start. These losses have absolutely shaped and molded you but they don't have to define you and there is light in this world to be found, we just have to keep looking for it. Don't give up and don't lose hope! We are here to help~
    Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing and if you have any questions about the site, or anything else, just let me know.