*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

The First of "The Firsts"

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by ChristinaJo, Jul 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ChristinaJo

ChristinaJo Member

My husband passed away 05/11/2019. I've heard that once you get through The Firsts, it get a wee bit easier. Mine is this Sunday, 7/21: our son's 15th birthday. So many memories of that week leading up to his birth. SO many memories of our difficulty in having children and the hardest, the stillborn daughter(at 23 weeks) that we never got to really know. I find myself in a whirlwind of emotions and it's been hard to sort them all out so I don't go crazy. I'm trying to make the day itself special for my son because, as a typical teenager, it's his birthday. Maybe at the end of the day, I'll just console myself with a pint......of Ben & Jerry's and go to the cemetery for a visit.

2. Julien

Julien Well-Known Member

Oh ChristianoJo.....
    Yes and even your son must hear the silence in the day and preparation too.....with you.
    I'm SO sorry about your stillborn child.....and that with this special child now you face a celebration. It's so bittersweet to do things with our shared puppy at the farm. How devastating must this be?
    I got to have a birthday a little over a month after my Ted, and then 2major holidays. But I was still surreal. Little things like telling furnace company where everything is located when Ted would have are so hard.
    Consolation. Is it possible?
    Prayers and Hugs!!!!!!

3. WoodMan

WoodMan Active Member

My wife Mary of almost 47 years died on March 26. It’s been really hard and like you next week marks a special time. July 26 would be our anniversary. Not sure how I’m going to handle it. I’m planning ahead, I know it will be tough. I have scheduled a meeting with my grief counselor the day before. As usual we’ll just have to take them one day at a time.

4. ChristinaJo

ChristinaJo Member

One day at a time for sure.....for all of us.

5. CindyM

CindyM New Member

My husband passed away 1/25/19 after being ill with cirrhosis of the liver for 5 years. We were married for 51 years. Our son got married last week and I have never felt so alone while in a room of over 200 people in my life. I finally realized I was alone, my partner was gone. My son and his new wife are really great wanting to help me. Her family is very large and they want me to come to their celebrations and parties. All that is wonderful but I just don't want to go. I can't get past wanting to just be left alone. I do go out every week atleast once or twice with some friends I used to work with for breakfast or lunch. A couple hours and I'm ready to go home and be alone again. I really don't get much done in the house - no motivation. I sure hope this is going to get better with time. Thanks for listening. CindyM