*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

New here

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by Stanley 56, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Stanley 56

Stanley 56 New Member

My wife passed from alzhimers a year and a half ago. I was her sole caretaker for 5 years until the end. I had to sell our house because I couldn't afford payments anymore. I am completely and utterly alone. I have no family, no friends, no support group. I didn't think a person could feel so alone. I have this tremendous grief and no one to talk to. I need help.

2. Sweetcole

Sweetcole Well-Known Member

I am sorry for your loss. You are in the right place. It will feel good to talk to people that understand where you're coming from. You are not alone. You have us to talk to. My loss has also been a year. Some days it feels like it just happened but I pray for strength each day. Some days are definitely easier than others. Keeping busy is good even if you're just going out to get some air. My kids are my motivation. Make a list of one or two things to do each day. It will give you something to look forward to each day.

3. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

My husband died April 11, 2021. I was also his caretaker for a long time. It was the hardest thing I ever had to go through, but I would have done anything for him. He was, and always will be, my one true love... I understand the pain of being alone, feeling lonely. I try to keep as busy as possible for these reasons. My family is small, and no one lives anywhere near me. I have acquaintances, but no "real" friends where I'm living. I'm originally not from this state. Soon after my husband and I moved here, his health began spiraling downwards rapidly. I was totally focused on taking care of him. I didn't have the energy or the desire to make new friends.

I find that being outside, taking long walks, helps me get through the seemingly endless days. I start each day by thinking of something to be grateful for, no matter how small it is. I make a list of things I want to accomplish everyday. Sometimes the only thing I think of that I'm grateful for is getting out of bed in the morning. Sometimes my list only has a few things on it. Yesterday I had only two things on my list, take a long walk, mail a birthday gift to my daughter.

I'm so sorry you had to find this site, but I'm glad you did. I hope you keep posting. I hope you find it helps being here, sharing your feelings with us. Sending you hugs, wishing you peace, wishing all of us peace... DEB321

Patti 61 and Sweetcole like this.
  4. zippydad

zippydad New Member

Hi Stanley 56. My wife passed from Early-Onset Alzheimer's on January 2, 2021 after 51 years of marriage. I too, was my wife's primary caretaker. I did it all for about ten years, until she went into a nursing home for the last few months of her life. Due to the Covid pandemic, I was not allowed to see her at all during that time in the nursing home. I finally got to bring her home with the help of Hospice and she died two days later. At least she had myself and our two Sons with her when she passed. I thought we would have more time, but it was not to be. I miss her so much I can hardly stand it. Everything I look at in the house has a memory of her attached to it in some way.

Please know that you are not alone, Stanley 56. You are a good person for hanging in there and taking care of your wife. A lot of guys can't handle it and run away from the problem. You did good, Sir. You fought the good fight and honored your vows to care for her in sickness and in health for better or worse until death do you part. She was lucky to have you.