*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

My son is now in the emergency room of St Mary's, Lewiston, Maine

Discussion in 'Grief in Common Updates, Questions & Answers' started by David Hughes, Apr 3, 2020.

1. David Hughes

David Hughes Well-Known Member

One of my sons is now being taken to the emergency room, having trouble breathing. My older son is taking him. I don’t know for sure if this is real or not. I just know since all this awful stuff has happened, we have stayed apart, my sons and me.

I hate not knowing. I hate the unknown our life (mine, yours) and everyone, our lives have become. Sure I hope for the best, but it is this not knowing that is gonna make today forward so damn hard to deal with.

I shall not speculate any further. I hope each of you will take care of each other and no matter what happens, I send my love out to all of you.

-david

I play this song for all, and send out hope

2. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

David, I am so sorry to hear your son is having trouble breathing, and in the emergency. This damn virus keeping us apart from our loved ones isn’t difficult enough. Not being able to be with your son while he’s in need. Like you said, don’t speculate, think positive. He will be ok.

David, there are people on this site that are like family to me, you are one of those people. I will be praying for you and your sons. Praying for healing and strength. As you know, you have a whole community here pulling for you and your sons, we’re here for you.

I don’t posesss the wonderful magicical power you have with music and finding that perfect song but I’m sure you’re playing songs to help you through and I’m praying for your family.
    Sending love, hugs and positive thoughts.
    Robin.

David Hughes likes this.
  3. David Hughes

Robin,

Thank you. I hope for the best. My son Christopher (age 40), in the hospital was so profoundly affected by his mom. As a child he was bullied in school, I was beside himself to help him find a way to deal with it. Schools are not equipped sometimes to handle children's mindset. I taught my son how to protect himself, and so he eventually made it past the bullying and even played football as a tackler. Life can be so darn unforgiven.

My other son Mike (age 44) is home from work, he had to take was ill, he works in an essential job. So I my mind is on them both, but more so with Chris right now. Mike took Chris to the hospital, came home went to bed and here I sit, phone by my side, knowing I will call my brother, and sisters later. Everything is up in the air right now.

Sure I am scared, for both of them, I not worried for myself, I have lived a full life, seen so much, the likes of which I can't completely share. They say the eyes are the windows to you soul, if you could see into mine it would be one of prayer, one of fear, one of hope and one of a person who will never give up or give in, I have seen too much to do otherwise.

I have inner strength the likes of which from my belief in God. Whatever happens, as a father I will go forward with an open mind, as a believer in God I will pray like there is no tomorrow. All I can say to everyone, we all might have family, keep them as close as you can, and even after loss, hold them even closer.

For now, I am ok, just off kilter. Musicgirl showed this song and so today I wish to play it as well for us all. It is very touching.

-david

RLC likes this.
  4. paul tinker

paul tinker Well-Known Member

David, sorry for the very serious concern you have. Most people I know are limiting their exposure. The impact of this virus has changed every one to wait and see. I will hope for a positive outcome for your son. All I can do is be respectful and know a large debt is owed to the people in the front lines of this. I hand wash more than ever. Listen to NPR to get the effort to best handle this crisis. That is ongoing and changes each day.

The not knowing I can see is difficult. I know of both some very loved older people that ran a Hawian restaurant passed from this. Also in the local paper a woman perhaps in her forties that survives without extensive medical intervention.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Paul M.

David Hughes likes this.
  5. David Hughes

Paul,

Thank you for your thoughts as well. The life we face is sometimes such a mystery. We never know what is around the corner, what tomorrow may bring. It is as if to coin a phrase, ‘Something Wicked This Way Comes.’

I will keep a PMA, positive mental attitude. Until I have something definitive, I offer a song.

-david

6. ainie

ainie Well-Known Member

Dear David...Praying for your and yours.

David Hughes likes this.
  7. David Hughes

Annie,

Thank you, and the prayers as well. The first thing I did as my son Mike took his brother Chris to the hospital. I prayed to God and Nadine (she was told by an angel she would take care of all the forgotten children). Let's just say it was heartfelt what I asked.

-david

8. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

David, I’m afraid I know all too well about bullying, and the effect it has on the person and whole family. My daughter, Stacey, 36, who is my rock, was bullied. Started in 5th grade and continued. I won’t go into it all but when she was in 11th grade she signed up for classes at Boces to get her out of the school for half a day every day. She is now a Systems Engineer and doing very well. Better the. The “bullies”. Her job is considered essential also but working from home and staying out of stores etc.

I understand your thought process, it’s our children we are always put ahead of ourselves. Stacey is my rock, but she was most affected by losing her Dad of my 2 two children. Mainly I believe because my son is in Florida and didn’t see him often.

I’m sure you’ve reached out to your family members by now and I’m hoping you get some positive news from the hospital. My brothers have both been in touch with me more often since this virus and I’m so thankful for that. Our families are so important.

Continuing to pray for you all.
    Robin

David Hughes likes this.
  9. David Hughes

Robin,

We left my sons phone with the hospital. We received our first call, they don't suspect Covid-19 Man first prayer answered. Thank you God. I will update as we get more.

Yes, I have talked with my siblings. My sister my go to person all my life, need I say she is inspirational, I guess it is in her nature as a teacher of 48 years, we went to church as children together. My brother the engineer, he is more fragile, I have to be careful with him, his wife also died of lung cancer. So when I talk I have to be upbeat, we usually share our Vietnam stories with each other to cope some days. My last sister is supportive.

So now I have a brighter outlook so far. I think we will always be guardians for our children no matter their age. They think they are protecting me, if only they knew how powerful I am with the help of my faith, you see neither son, don't believe in God (due to life and the loss of their mom), I will be the strong one and hold the faith for us all.

They have been testing Chris for a heart attack. I will update when we know what is what, but I will tell you that my faith will never ever falter no matter what.

Take care.

-david

10. David Hughes

NEGATIVE

OK, Chris is being discharged, Heart Attack negative. BUT, his shortness of breath will remain undiagnosed.

Here was the final answer, he did not have enough symptoms for the hospital to actually do the testing for Covid-19.

I don't know, he looked pretty scared when he left this morning. I don't like not having an answer.

One can only hope.

-david

11. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Oh man, so left wondering what is going on. Ugh! How is his breathing now? I’m glad no heart attack, but not having an answer doesn’t feel good.
    Thanks for the update, praying Chris is ok, but something is going on.
    Robin

David Hughes likes this.
  12. David Hughes

Robin,

His breathing is ok now. How it happened. He woke up that way. Came downstairs said he needed to go the hospital, Mike followed him and out the door they went. But here is an interesting possible reason why he was released.

As the morning turned into afternoon there at the hospital, another person, a woman came into the hospital. She didn't look good, and so they took vitals and then x-rays of her lungs. Partially looked like shredded wheat. Chris was in the room next to her, he overheard them talking she was asymptomatic coronavirus. So the others quickly finished with Chris and they were talking of prepping for lockdown. :eek:

Mike was outside, Chris was released and he is now back home in bed. So I am happy he is here, but I don't know, this disease seems to becoming unreal.

Each day as we hear more on the news, all the infighting politicians are doing doesn't help. I am looking for a spaceship ride perhaps off this planet. Anyone let me know if they hear of one. :rolleyes:

So for now, this parent is ok and my prayers were answered. Thank God for that.

-david

13. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

David,
    This is a crazy world we're living in. What a relief they got him out of there. No one needs to be there next to someone who possibly has the virus. I can't even imagine what was going through your head all day. I've been thinking of your son, I just know if it was one of my children I'd be a mess of worry.

I'm glad he seems ok and is resting. Curious what the issue was though. He's at your house with you?

I try to not listen to the news as much, I find it overwhelming, I'm staying in my house and tired of that. NY has so many cases, and it's difficult to get supplies. I know Ron would keep me calm, so I think of what he would say to me and that is helping. I think we're all missing our spouses and loved ones even more during this. I know I am.

Happy for you that today turned out how it did, prayers answered, I believe you can rest easy tonight.

Robin

David Hughes likes this.
  14. David Hughes

Robin,

I patrol the first floor, :cool: and both my sons are upstairs. I have faith and believe in our health providers. Sure it is uncomfortable not knowing, not being with your loved one, but that is the reality of what we all are now facing.

Robin, stress while it can be crippling, both my sons are treated for it. After I had my depression after dad died, and had treatment, it was as if my mind had found a way to get beyond doors that were holding me back.

Sure Nadine’s death was hard, but it wasn’t the same type of stress anymore, it was a crisis of the heart, something that is too shattering at times to face. But the fact is the more I was able to open up and others also shared their loss I was able to recognize my loss was not exclusive, and there are just so many others who were in that same crushing pain.

As for the news, my outlook is, I have to know, all the good, all the bad, all the right, all the wrong, and then I can convince myself how to deal with it. My brother is another story, he refuses to watch the news.

I will sleep well tonight for sure, but also be easily awakened. I think most all of us will have many nights where we struggle with life as it currently is, because we just don’t know for certain what will happen next. Sure we didn't before but this is a whole new world.

Take care for now.

-david

This is one of my favorite artists

15. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

That’s a nice set up you have with your sons. I don’t like being alone. Not sure what took me so long to think of this, but this is the first time in my life I’m alone. I went from living with my parents to marrying Ron. Thankful my daughter lives close and comes over a couple times a week.

This site has proven to be a life savor for me, Ive learned that talking, sharing and reading is more help then I ever realized. Sharing the pain we’re feeling and knowing everyone here gets it. Helps so much.

I agree on the news, I’m just taking a break last couple days, I was watching too much. Just checking in a couples times each day, instead of leaving the news on all day. I see the CDC recommends wearing masks now, that does make sense. But there’s none available. We’re living in such an unknown time, I pray it ends soon. I do miss Ron more and didn’t even realize that was possible. He’s my everything and certainly living through this with him would be so much easier. But that’s not reality.

Taking a ride on the beach tomorrow, that clears my mind and feels good.
    All the music and songs you share are beautiful and helpful, thanks for sharing.
    Robin

cg123 and David Hughes like this.
  16. David Hughes

Robin

One thing while in the military, before and after marriage, you have to deal with is being alone. Life is funny like that, I grew up being alone so much, getting up at 4 am each morning to deliver the paper. It was a time of reflection, and one that I accepted because it gave me the opportunity to have money, not a lot, but it allowed me to share when I could with my sisters.

The route wasn’t too bad in the seasons before snow, I had a bike to carry me along, but when winter came, you had to bundle up, walk safely, avoid dogs and cars, as darkness was always with me at that time in the morning.

Then after high school I joined the military. I am happy I did. I got a chance to see the world, meet so many amazing people, and always had friends to lean on in lonely times.

When you leave for tour, it might be unaccompanied, if married, or just solo. But believe it or not I adapted quickly to being alone with my thoughts, even in Vietnam. I guess why I tell you and others this, all our lives are decided on small things, if you had no plan. I thought I would never go to college, but by joining the military I had the GI bill that put me through.

You ask a soldier, and they will tell you, life can be harsh, but it was also rewarding. You learn so much from others who are away from home for their first time. You share hopes and wishes, what your shortcomings were, and how to make you a better person. So even though a soldier's life can be challenging it is filled with memories. The brotherhood is something you can’t put a price on, it becomes instilled into you. Sorry for rambling.

I agree this site has allowed me to be myself again. I have found the inner peace again I had lost. Death does that to us all. You have to find a way forward, and so many of you helped me do that, for that I will be eternally grateful.

I guess we will all look like robbers now walking around with all our masks and scarfs. This so reminds me of spy vs spy. We just have to do it for everyone’s safety.

I am a water person. Always loved the water, fresh and salt. My uncles would take us so many places, seeing the sights on the Maine shores, and fishing all the brooks, ocean, and so many others. They tried to get me to hunt, that is one thing I never could bring my mind to allow.

You are so correct, everything we do forward is such a mystery. We have to accept that time is the only thing that will bring us out of this terrible time. I fear for the future, nothing is promised. Take care.

-david

Michelle Jin Violin is an artist who I have been talking to for months, she is another favorite of mine. I have commented on all her melodies. I offer this cover she performed. My comments to her are listed as Dave Gamer.

This is for all us new MASK users

cg123 likes this.
  17. paul tinker

David,

Good to hear your son is OK. Also the memorable parts of your life.

David Hughes likes this.
  18. David Hughes

Paul,

Thank you. Still don't know why he had shortness of breath. I thought maybe heartburn backup, or power fluctuation to his cpap machine, but not really sure, just know it scared the heck out of him. As long as it doesn't return I am ok with it.

-david

19. paul tinker

David and Robin,

Good exchanges both of you. A gal I met here lives in NM. We continue to correspond. A great friendship is a by-product of this site. I have another friend from the NW that moved to NM. So, with Dave from Maine and Robin from NY with my wife's brother and sister in Florida I get a national perspective. Same with FB. Several friends have been uplifting in their own way. The commonality is the connection with others. Some that knew Kay and our life and some new since Kay's passing. My yoga teacher has become a friend. She is originally from Ohio. A couple of people from Nebraska. Currently, a new friend that is Vietnamese American and came here on his own at age eleven and is now forty-four. Each adds to my life with their good natures and personal sharing of their lives.

I suppose we are in the midst of a pre 19 and an unknown post 19 worlds. One article I received was about hand washing. The soap suds actually dissolve the lipid protective coating around the protein virus core. More stuff on cleaning like alcohol above 65%, Clorox, and hydrogen peroxide works well. David to your point about the political infighting. You tend to be a pragmatist. Robin, I agree with the news. It is overwhelming. I will spend some hours with NPR, radio. It quit TV after Kay's passing. Really a product of my personal grief. Nerves were way to edgy for that medium. So, Daves music now fits and Robin your nature outing also has been time well spent. I met a Shick woman at my local Subway and her take was, " We do not know what next Monday will be.".

I am glad both of you are here and actively posting. Sharing your lives.

Paul M.

David Hughes likes this.
  20. David Hughes

Paul,

Yes, it is wonderful seeing and hearing others perspectives. People are amazing, including you Paul. In my travels I have seen and listened to so many great people. I loved the opportunity. I have lived in many US states and you can't help but be affected by the decade and place you are in.

I agree I am a pragmatist, a dreamer and will always be. I believe in everyone.

I have learned in life, one must find a bridge that we all can cross. It serves no purpose to leave others behind. We are so much less, if we don’t make that effort to listen, even when it is so difficult we deny ourselves knowledge.

I found, through words, others speak, they show themselves. Some are able to still listen, and then there are those who because of too much hurt or perhaps stubbornness they have turned their mind off to others.

While we may not find a connection for all of us, we read the whole book if we would just listen. Some words are hard to face, still others are so hard to accept, but if only we could learn to reach out even when we can’t come to terms we grow so dynamically as a person.

I remember growing up, when I was perhaps 12 or so, my friends asked me to go to summer camp with them in another state. My dad listened to me, an excited child, and let’s just say that was the first time in life I realized how others are viewed because of their skin color.

I did not feel that way, and I grew up that way. I never gave up my friends, no matter the hate that was shouted out. I learned we are all special in our way, we all have so much to offer if only we would give life a chance. I think that is why the service was such a great fit for me.

Even though my family was full of military people, my eyes only saw what we all could accomplish together. The military in that regard is a stellar example of leave no one behind ever.

Of course I realize in life we will always not agree, and some may never be able to open their minds to others words. I say it is their loss, one that will never allow them to see the world as it truly is - one of magnificence, one of hope, one of promise, and yes, one of compromise. Some may not be able to see that, and for them I am sorry. I just know that we all can wish for a greater tomorrow, it will take us all, not just a select few.

-david