*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

My husband’s parting gift

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by Kata, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Kata

Kata Active Member

I just joined today. I read through a year of experiences and my story is unique. If you read this you may not relate to most of it, but here it goes,,,

I met my husband when I was 15. In our French class he’d always sit behind me and play with tresses of my long hair. He thought I couldn’t feel it. Soon after we became best friends. After high school we went our separate ways(always keeping in touch) until we ended up in Northern California at the same time. After he finished grad school we got married, and settled down in CT.

Shortly after his 60th birthday, they found the cancer. It had metastasized. He lived for about a year after that. I’ll cherish that year as one of the best years I shared with him. He was in bed most of the time, so I stayed in bed with him. We did crossword puzzles together. What we did really didn’t matter. It was that we spent quality time together. There were some tough times, but most of the time it was me and him enjoying each other’s company.

Before my husband was diagnosed, I was going through a deep depression. I tried all sorts of things, from volunteer work to electroshock therapy. Nothing worked. I didn’t like myself and while I didn’t say the words suicide, I wondered what the point of living was.

Then my husband got the diagnosis and finally I had something to live for. I started to come out of my depression. I went from saying “I wish I could trade places with you” to cherishing every moment. And I was proud of how well I took care of him, which raised my self esteem.

This was my husband’s last gift, the greatest gift I could have ever received. He taught me how precious life is. To go back to wasting my life now would be an insult to his memory.

2. Michael beck

Michael beck Well-Known Member

First I am so sorry you lost your soulmate..your friend your husband..
    I can only imagine the love you and your husband had..still do..
    I just love your story and your positive attitude
    Surrounding his passing and even before with the diagnosis of his illness..
    Your a strong women and I prey you continue to have a good life.
    Gid bless you and your family

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Hi Kata.
    I liked reading your heartfelt story. I'm so sorry we're both here. My wife of 25 years died suddenly of a brain aneurysm on Nov 2, 2019. We have a great love story of love at first sight and 25 years of raising a family together. So many memories. I'll keep her in my heart forever. We have to find a new life and identity now. Don't let it bring you down. You never know what is coming up for you in life. My daughter and her husband just informed me they're going to have their first child! New love in my life! I also was suicidal in the beginning. Not wanting to put this pain on my sweet daughter is what kept me alive. Take care of yourself. Eat right, sleep well, get up and out of bed each day. Grieving is so hard on you! Pray. Prayer is a good and true thing. I promise it will help and things in your life will get easier to handle. Come back and post often. It will help you feel better. Peace ✌