*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

My dad slipped away and I'm slipping back...

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by elaina.sisson, May 20, 2020.

1. My dad had a heart attack last week and I got a call about it Sunday to come down because nobody told the that he had a daughter or any kids....
    I get to my father's house in rural Oklahoma, and his house has been RANSACKED! Anything that could be taken and sold is long gone! So I feel the traumatic shock all over again, like lightening coursing through my veins. And the only sound I can hear is static silence...I know people are around me and talking, hell maybe even talking to me, but it's like my whole world has been muted somehow.
    Skipping much of the story, I'm struggling now because I was alone and desperately upset so I turned to what used to make waking up every day easier... my drug use! Oh and how easy it was to sink back into that comfortable numbness, the one that robs you of any genuine emotions.
    I just wanted the hurting to stop

2. TJones

TJones Active Member

Hello Elaina,

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I am also sorry to hear about the ransacked home. I can only imagine the hurt you must have felt when you saw that. My dad passed in March and I had the duty to clear out his home. I know I would have been devastated if I had walked into that. Some people have no respect for others or the pain they are going through.

I feel as though you are desperately reaching out. I’m not going to judge your drug use; however, I would say - it’s not healthy and you have to take care of yourself. I know you are trying to numb the pain but this isn’t the right way. The hurting will take take. I’m not sure it ever stops but you will adjust to the new normal...in time.

There are many good people here. If you need someone, I’m here.

TJ