*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

My dad passed away from cancer

Discussion in 'Loss of a Parent' started by Marlee S, May 4, 2019.

1. Marlee S

Marlee S New Member

On July 28th 2018 my dad passed away from bladder cancer. He battled for 8 long months but couldn’t fight any longer. I lost my home with him and my whole life. None of his family is near me, they are on the other side of the country which makes me feel alone in this grieving process. I was his only child and he was not re married. I feel like everyone around me has forgot about him but me. It’s so hard to keep his spirit alive when no one talks about him. And even when I talk about him I feel like people have already heard it or they don’t know what to say so they change conversations. Any advice on how to not have him forgotten?

2. Feeling alone

Feeling alone Member

So sorry for your loss. It's hard to anticipate what life will bring us after losing a loved one. I strongly believe another door will open wide and bring peace to your life again.

3. riverinohio

riverinohio Well-Known Member

I would write your thoughts and memories on paper. Journaling is very cathartic. This is one way to keep your memories and to connect to him. My local hospital has a program at Christmas to buy an ornament or a light for a tree and I plan on doing that for my dad. There is a local park in my area that will allow you to buy a tree and have your loved one's name engraved. I don't know if there is anything in your community that offer these type of things. Another idea is to do an act of kindness in your dad's name. This is a great way to honor him. You are not alone in your grief. The sad thing is no one likes to talk about it. Hang in there.

4. Violet

Violet New Member

On October 28, 2015, my mom passed away from stage 4 breast cancer. 2011 is when her battle began, and she fought for as long as she was able to. My life turned upside down, and at times I feel that that feeling hasn't changed. My family doesn't talk much about my mom. The topic, in general, can be a painful/uncomfortable conversation and most don't like to talk about it or even know what to say. Everyone has their way of grieving, and the process may feel lonely, but you are not alone. One of the things I do to keep my moms memory alive is still celebrating her birthday by eating at her favorite restaurant.