*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

My 83 year old father...

Discussion in 'Suicide Loss' started by Shannon Lee, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Shannon Lee

Shannon Lee Member

Hi, I'm new hear, and this is my first post. My wonderful clinician recommended this forum to share, learn, and support. My 83 year old father completed suicide May 27th. He had some health issues, but being aware his memory and cognitive thought was rapidly deteriorating due to dementia was what I believe was the final straw, along with indications from the note he left. My sister and I were on a walk. We heard the gunshot, but we were not aware whatit was until we returned to the backyard to find my father had laid down by the garden and shot himself in the forehead with his service weapon. This is why I'm here.

2. Shannon Lee

Shannon Lee Member

My apologies for the misspelling and typos.

3. Curtpg

Curtpg Member

So sorry. Suicide, for any reason or at any age, is just devastating to us let behind. Finding him must multiple the anguish and grief ten fold.

4. Ranvaering

Ranvaering Member

Shannon - I am so very sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose a parent, but I can't imagine how difficult to lose your dad to suicide. How are you doing?

5. Shannon Lee

Shannon Lee Member

Thanks for asking. It varies day to day. Some days are better than others.

6. Ranvaering

Ranvaering Member

That is understandable. I hope there get to be more better days over time. Are there things that you find helpful on the less-good days?

7. Shannon Lee

Shannon Lee Member

Sorry for the delay...I go for walks often. At least once or twice a day. When the days get surreal, my counselor taught me grounding techniques, and the EMDR sessions with him have helped emmensly for the traumatic end of it. Daily coping varies day to day, some days more manageable than others. I'm getting out of bed, moving through my days a bit easier than 3 months ago. So I consider that progress.

Ranvaering likes this.
  8. Shannon Lee

Shannon Lee Member

Yes indeed. Stating tjat it changed my life is very much a understatement.

9. Ranvaering

Ranvaering Member

Shannon, I was attending a virtual conference since Friday. I am glad you are making progress. Cindy

Shannon Lee likes this.