*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Mom’s and Memories

Discussion in 'Loss of a Parent' started by RLC, May 5, 2020.

1. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

As Mothers Day approaches I’m missing my Mom who passed 15 years ago, and my Mother’s Day will be so different without my husband with me. He passed 11/17/18, sudden heart attack. I thought possibly we could post favorite memories of our Mom’s to honor and show our love for that very special, loving, caring, beautiful Mom that still means the world to us. And always will.

I have so many wonderful memories it’s hard to choose what to share. My Mom was my best friend, we did everything together, and when my Dad passed in 1994, I became even closer to her. I’d pick her up to get her out of the house, even if I was going to a store one block from my house I’d drive past it to go get my Mom. She came with me everywhere. She was so thankful! I took her to all her doctors appointments etc. she asked me if I minded that she called my kids, hers. She loved them so much.

During one such outing in the car she looked over at me and said, “you know Robin, I gave you the wrong name” I looked at her and asked, “what do you mean”? She goes on to say she chose Robin because she always loved that name and she still loves the name she gave me. To be honest whenever my Mom said my name she said it in a sing song kind of way, was so loving! Anyway, she tells me, she got it wrong, I should have named you Faith! I look back at her and she has tears rolling down her cheeks, silently crying. So now I’m beside myself, she’s making me cry, I pull over and ask her what is this about. Tears still falling, she says, your name should be Faith, because you are so faithful! I can always depend on you no matter what. Where would I be without you? So I thank her for the wonderful compliment, we dry our tears and go back to our errands. Every once in a while after that conversation she’d call me Faith, and we’d look at each and smile and I’d tell her I love her. That story brings tears to eyes as I write it. What a wonderful Mom I was given and what a beautiful friendship we had. And I still draw from that today.

Now I’ve also lost my husband and he spoiled me every day but on Mother’s Day, he didn’t let me lift a finger. He’d take me out for breakfast, and cooked a bbq dinner all planned by him and he’d buy me a beautiful cake. He did that for me every year. When our children were young they’d sit me in a chair sometimes outside sometimes in the house. I was asked to close my eyes, and when I opened them they’d all be in front of me with bouquets or pots of flowers and hand made cards and small gifts they either made or purchased, and wrapped by them. The sweeetest most wonderful gift was just them all standing there with such love on their faces bursting to give me a hug and their special gift. My children are adults now, but gaurenteed on Sunday, I’ll be given flowers and it will only be my daughter and I, but she’s already told me we will be bbqing. My son will FaceTime with me from Florida and send me something special. I miss Ron terribly and there will be a lot of tears, but my kids will step in and show their love and we’ll make it the best day we can.

I’d love for anyone and everyone to share a wonderful Mom memory. It does our hearts good!
    Wishing you all the best Mother’s Day possible.
    Robin

2. Jayz893

Jayz893 Member

So beautiful. Your Mum sounds a lovely person. I recently lost my Mum and her name was Faith. She was one of the most caring people I have ever known and my best friend.
    So sorry to hear about your husband too.