*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

LOST MY 29 YEAR OLD BOYFRIEND 3 WEEKS AGO

Discussion in 'Grief in Common Updates, Questions & Answers' started by Felicia_Massacusetts, Jul 31, 2018.

1. I'm 27, I lost my boyfriend of 5 years 3 weeks ago, only July 14th. We were fighting at the time and he slept at his parent's house, he passed in his sleep unexpectedly due to sleep apnea. I feel guilty for fighting with him. I'm young, still, and have never had to deal with a terrible loss like this. Sometimes, I feel like I'm being dramatic, or selfish. I bought a journal and am writing to him, other than that I'm not sure what the steps or protocol are. I am not religious, but I'd like to believe he is in heaven , or some form of it. Although, I keep thinking of heaven as this real, tangible place where I just can't communicate with him, like he's on vacation or something. I'm hoping someone has been in a similar situation and can give me some advice.

2. Sciguy

Sciguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend. Many people feel guilty for fighting with someone who passed, so you are not alone. I don't have any words of wisdom, but you should do whatever allows you to grieve. If that's writing in a journal, that's fine. Coming here to vent may also help.

3. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Felicia, I am so sorry for your loss. Grief is hard at any age, and I think when a loss like this happens most people don't know where to turn or how to cope. What's most important is to realize that expressing grief is not dramatic or selfish, no matter who we've lost or how much time has passed. I think that's a big problem for grievers, feeling judged by others. And I think that's often why we may hide how we're really feeling. As far as advice, I suppose I would remind you to be patient with yourself and with this process. To realize that grief takes time and to allow things to unfold as you adjust to what this new life looks like. Journaling is a wonderful outlet, as is reaching out to others for support. You are not alone. If you need any help in navigating the site or to learn more about how to connect with those who are grieving, please don't hesitate to reach out. We are here to help. I wish you all the best~