Lost a loved one to addiction

Discussion in 'Loss from Substance Abuse' started by Rosanna Rizzo, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Rosanna Rizzo

Rosanna Rizzo Member

I don’t know where to start or if I’m in the right place to start.
    It’s been 6 weeks and I found my boyfriend gone on my kitchen floor. Actually my oldest daughter found him first but never entered the home after she saw he was laying on the ground. I didn’t even know he was struggling, we were in a good place. We have known each other for 20 plus years... we lost connection over some years but we found a way back to each other.
    I talk to friends and family I just don’t think they know what to say or do..
    some days I feel better but then the next I feel like my world is forever changed and I don’t know how to get back to myself again.
    I feel alone and hopeless

2. Rachel501

Rachel501 New Member

Hi. I'm going thru the very same thing! My boyfriend of 5 years overdosed on 12/9/18 16 days shy of his 33rd birthday. I found his body in our bed. I don't know how to BE without him. I can't stay in the apartment we had, so I'm moving and having to pack all of his things up....just seems wrong, like I'm tryna erase him! I still can't measure the time in weeks I'm still counting in days. I feel so lost and alone.

3. Rosanna Rizzo

Rosanna Rizzo Member

I’m so sorry.... I know the pain you are going thru
    I thought of moving too but I didn’t because honestly this is where he belonged and that makes me feel closer to him
    I do understand you have to, trust me I know
    Till this day I have not gotten rid of his belongings and I don’t think I can right now... is that right or wrong? I don’t know but it’s my way of coping
    You have to do what works for you and there is no wrong way
    Thank you for reaching out
    I hope we will be a peace one day

4. Rachel501

Rachel501 New Member

His sister TOOK some things but other than that I have everything. It is so hard to put the man I love in a box and close it up. I miss him so much

5. Rosanna Rizzo

Rosanna Rizzo Member

I know what you mean.....
    I have pictures of my boyfriend all around my house because that is what makes me feel good
    I keep thinking of the things we should be doing and what we loved to do together
    It’s not easy losing the men we loved very much
    I miss him terribly and I don’t know how to get thru it
    You have to do what helps you get thru every day
    It’s not easy I know...

6. Rachel501

Rachel501 New Member

I carry his ashes with me wherever I go he is with me. I place a picture of him on his pillow at night so he's still next to me. I love him so very much and tried so hard to save him from himself, now all I have are our memories, and the plans we had for our life together. I'm so lost without him I don't know how to live without him. no one understands. They've never had to put their lives back together when the pieces don't fit anymore. It's so hard to come home knowing he isn't there, to go to the grocery store and only shop for 1. Our entire lives are forever changed!

7. Rosanna Rizzo

Rosanna Rizzo Member

I know the feeling.... I don’t have his ashes, his mom does but she said I could have some and I will be getting some. He used to wear beanie hats all the time and that is what I sleep with every night, it’s whatever makes us get thru it
    We do try to save them but that decease they had is a tough one.
    I hope you are talking to a therapist, I am and it helps a little to understand how they think
    We will never 100% know but it does help to talk... I am also always available to talk to you
    Him and I used to love cooking together... we had fun with it... I haven’t been able to cook sense he’s been gone.... if you haven’t noticed I can’t say his name either... it’s hard for me
    And tomorrow is his birthday....
    we will never forget....

8. Rachel501

Rachel501 New Member

His birthday was Christmas...I'll never have another Christmas. I've thought about therapy, just haven't been able to give myself that push yet. It hurts to even see his name to say it makes me cry....

9. Rosanna Rizzo

Rosanna Rizzo Member

I know I can’t say his name either.... it’s always his or him
    I know it’s tough to even get out of bed....
    I do talk to a therapist and it does help it’s like talking to someone who actually understands
    I think I’ll be going forever
    It’s very hard to understand why this happened to us.....
    It’s a disease that we will never understand
    It took our loved ones away from us
    It also helps to read books about the disease they had
    I know everyday is a struggle....