LOOKING FOR A GRIEF GROUP? General Grief Support Wednesday May 19 at 7 pm EST - JOIN US!

Loss of niece

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Karenn78, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Karenn78

Karenn78 New Member

My niece passed away in April of 2016. She was only 7. An SUV hit her while she was holding my brother in laws hand, he is okay, fortunately. I loved her very much. My kids are close to her age and they were all incredibly close, especially my daughter who is 8 months older. My niece was my only sister’s only child. I don’t have any other nieces or nephews on my side of the family. Watching my family grieve has been very difficult for me on top of my own grief. The memories of the hospital the night she died still haunt me, especially at night. It was like the world had caved in on itself. I don’t have any unresolved issues with her, I know she knows I love her. I just miss her horribly. I’ve never experienced such a yearning for someone. My kids seem to be doing okay, and I am hopeful this tragedy will make them more compassionate and loving and not fearful or bitter. I ache for my mother and my sister so deeply. It has been an enormous loss for my family. I also struggle with feeling of guilt that my three children are here when my sister’s only is not. I know all the rational arguments against that, but sometimes my guilt returns. I also feel I fit in nowhere as I am not a bereaved parent or grandparent. I often say there needs to be a bereaved aunt group. I’m hoping to find someone who understands my grief here.

2. member16

member16 New Member

Hi, Karenn.

I've just stumbled across your message following an online search.

Did anyone ever come back to you on this? I see it's been more than two years.

3. Sheryl2018

Sheryl2018 New Member

Hi Karen,

I know it has been a while since you wrote this. Regardless, I felt compelled to write back. I lost my niece in October 2019. It by far has been one of the most difficult, life changing experiences. I, too, felt like she was my own. She was my sister's daughter but I loved her more than words can describe. I still think about her every day and miss her terribly.

I agree, there is a need for a bereaved aunt group. I often feel like I have no one to turn to because, as you said, we are not the parents or grandparents. However, what we feel is strong and there is still a yearn to speak to someone about the loss and pain.