*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Loss of my Dog and Best Friend

Discussion in 'Finding it Difficult to Move Foward' started by Meggie, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Meggie

Meggie New Member

8 days ago, I lost my beloved family dog Dexter to old-age. He was 13 years old. I've had him since I was seven years old, and I can't remember a life without him. I haven't experienced loss or grief before, and I absolutely don't know how to handle this. I've tried to find pet bereavement communities but was unable to find one; regardless of it was a pet or human who passed away, I believe the emotion of grief stays the same. I'm a college student and I'm finding it hard to go about my every day life because I miss him so much. We made the loving decision to euthanize him, and he died in my arms. I feel so empty.

I hear from other people that it will get better with time. But will it really?? I've had trouble eating and sleeping. When he first got sick in March, I sank into a severe depression, and feel myself going to the "darkness" again.

I know he is at peace, but I'm left suffering and mourning. I decided to get a paw print tattoo on my wrist to memorialize him and have written posts about my sadness on my dog blog. I'm just trying to find other people who understand the emotion of grief and might be able to help me.

I would also like to post a disclaimer that I am an NYU student who also needs to do research on online communities and how people interact with and support each other online. While I needed to find one for class, this specific one found me because of the heartbreak I am experiencing right now. I will be conducting my observation from October 11th to October 25th, however will participate as a member in this community for longer while I work through my grief. I will be sure to follow all rules on this site and be respectful to anyone who does not want to be included. This research will only be submitted to my Professor, it will not be published anywhere or read anywhere else. I will also change names to preserve anonymity.

Thank you for allowing me to be a student while also finding help and community in this difficult time.

Does anyone have advice for a 20-year old girl on how to grow through loss?

2. YellowEyeDog

YellowEyeDog Active Member

Hi Meggie, I am so sorry for your loss... I do know your feelings. Throughout my lifetime I have lost a few beloved pets. I lost my “heart dog “ going on 2 years ago now, and I still shed tears for him from time to time. I believe losing a pet can sometimes be harder than losing a human .....Have you ever considered contacting an animal communicator . I found a lot of comfort in having one get in touch with my dogs spirit.... you might want to try that ..... I do not think we ever really get over losing them, we just learn to live with the heartbreak .....

3. Aude

Aude Member

Hi Meggie, your post was some time ago but I hope you are still checking back on this site. I am so sorry that Dexter died. Grief for a beloved dog hits every bit as hard as grief for a human. The one comfort is knowing that you gave Dexter a wonderful life full of love and tenderness. You were very brave to understand that he would suffer if he continued on, and you gave him a final, loving gift of holding him as he died. You gave Dexter your very best because he gave the same to you. Yes, Meggie, you will love another dog when you are ready because your gifts and ability to love are part of you.