*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Losing my dad after having him back in my life

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Mita, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Mita

Mita New Member

My dad died suddenly 5yrs ago from an unintentional overdose.

I had him back in my life for only 3yrs before I lost him.

I feel his death could have been prevented and this is why; His girlfriend found him unresponsive and assumed he was dead. She then left him alone there for 3 hours before finally telling someone. Then when they went back he had stuff coming out of his mouth which he did NOT before. Which leads me to believe he had a chance to be saved.

I don’t feel like it was his time, he was only 58.

I miss him and I want him back, I have never and will never be the same.

2. Sciguy

Sciguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your father. You are correct in saying that it will never be the same without him. As hard as it is, try to draw upon any happy memories you have of him.

Mita likes this.
  3. Michele Wood

Michele Wood Well-Known Member

Y ou said your father was found unconscious by hi s girlfriend but that she did not do a anything for several hours.

I can tell you from p e rsonal experience (sister and recent partner) it only takes 3-5 minutes to become brain dead. Sister had drug overdose and stopped breathing. I found her at some unspecified later time.

Partner had cardiac arrest in front of me. Probably brain dead by time paramedics arrived, which was quickly.

It may not have made a difference in your father's case.