*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Losing a mother

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Ariel, Nov 25, 2018.

?

Should I continue school or take a semester off?

1. Continue School

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Take a semester off

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Ariel

Ariel New Member

Hi, on July 5th, 2018. My mother suffered a stroke and was declared brain dead on July 6th. I haven’t really been dealing with her passing as much as I thought I have. I think about her everyday but I don’t really process her death. It’s really catching up to me. I was 18 when it happened and I went back to college but now I am so sad especially with the holidays and honestly not doing the best in school. I was wondering if the best option would be to take a semester off. Any suggestions?

2. Sciguy

Sciguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your mother. I can relate as I lost my mother suddenly in May.

No one will be able to say what is best for you - except you. If you’re not doing well in school, maybe taking off a semester would be best. If you do, what would you do with your time? Some people need the distraction of work or school. Others can’t concentrate on anything. Do you have access to a counselor at school? That may help you decide.

griefic likes this.
  3. Lisa7

Lisa7 New Member

I lost my mom last month. It’s been very emotional difficult so I understand. There’s just no words to describe the pain. Going to church has really helped me a lot.

4. LisaMarieMarlene

LisaMarieMarlene New Member

I am sorry for the loss of your mom. I lost my mom in June 2018. She died suddenly. I still can not process her passing. I am the type that would need to take a break from anything that required my full attention if I could. But I know of others that need to be distracted. You have to decide what is best for you. This is one of the hardest times of life so do what you need to help you get through.

5. Hayly

Hayly New Member

Hi I am new to this but reading your post I had to reply because I am going through the exact same thing. My mom passed suddenly the day before my sophomore year classes started in August of this year. I myself went right back to school as well and I can agree with the replies above that staying busy 100% helps. Focusing on yourself and achieving things brings positive and happy vibes to yourself and that’s what you need in this time of heartbreak. Keep going on and know you’re making her proud every step!