*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

I am a wreck without my wife

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by RickB, Oct 5, 2021.

1. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

Thanks Lou, I was wondering if my post got thrown into cyber space by mistake. I will get the book Widower's Notebook as you mentioned it's helped you and others. Hope you are having a nice day and I'll be back to read more posts throughout the day. To me, all the many posts are like reading a novel, many chapters. K

2. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

Lou,

I briefly skimmed some of the posts that have been added since last night. Was planning on reading them in detail and responding when I get back from running some errands (necessary ones today!), when I saw this. You did it again, you made me laugh, and I mean REALLY laugh!!! All I'm going to say it's a good thing my plumbing system is currently in good working order, total understatement!!! (added this one just for you).

Please don't get arrested, I live way too far away to bail you out!!!

Be back to "talk" to you, to everyone later on...

As always, sending you hugs, wishing you peace, all of us peace. DEB

3. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

Patti.

I've been thinking about you the entire day. Praying your appointment went well... Whenever you feel up to it, please update. Thanks in advance!!

Patti 61 likes this.
  4. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

George,

I was just beginning to feel better, was walking on a raised wooden path through the woods, and was about to sit on a bench, like I did yesterday. Today, unlike yesterday, I wanted to try to block out every thought, try to veg out, and just listen to the sounds of nature... I heard the sounds of rescue vehicles, sirens blaring, impossible to escape the noise. As always, whenever I hear sirens, I started crying. Instead of sitting down, I turned around, headed back in the other direction, away from those sirens. I started speed walking, I really felt like running, but my doctors told me I had to give it up (previous injuries and arthritis). I started feeling a bit better after about another mile or two. By the time I got home, I was okay. Fresh air and a bit of exercise always seem to make my worst moments better.

I hope you were able to nap during dialysis. I hope you're finally back home and that you're doing okay.

5. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

Lou,

I read your response to George and need to respond. The sixth month anniversary of Bob's death was yesterday, October 11th. I think I might have confused you because by accident when I was "talking" to George (? I think it was George), I said the anniversary of Bob's death was the 13th. So sorry!!! I'll be here for you and for George tomorrow. I hope as Robin told me, that for the two of you, the actual day isn't as bad as the days leading up to it, the anticipation of it's soon to be arrival.

I think you gave George some really good advice when you told him "anniversaries and holidays are ONE day." I agree, life is precious and we have to try to focus and be grateful for all the good things. I'm trying hard to do this. I always start the day by thinking of at least one thing I'm grateful for before I get out of bed. However, as hard as I try, there are way too many days that I'm miserable. But, and this is one of those really BIG buts, I think I'm moving forward because now, even in the middle of a really miserable day, I can laugh again. So most of my days are now, as Robin would say, are happy mixed with sad. Before I keep on going and going, going to end this here!!!

BTW thank you for your poetic description of the fall. Robert Frost would be proud of you!!!

As always sending you hugs, wishing you peace, all of us peace. DEB

6. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

Lou,

I responded to this in a previous post awhile ago, but in case you don' find it, I'm so sorry. I know I confused you when you read a message I sent to George where I incorrectly said the sixth month anniversary of Bob's death was Oct. 13th. It was yesterday, Oct. 11th. I will be here for you and George tomorrow!!!

Another really short message, I think I'm starting to a new record with how many short messages I can send.

7. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

P.S. I just saw that it's right above this one. So scrap this last message.

8. Patti 61

Patti 61 Guest

Hi Deb, didn't get home from surgery until almost six 6:00 PM
    more painful than the first surgery couple months ago.
    I miss Jack so much, prior to his illness, through life trials
    I gained so much strength always feeling secure and safe
    having him right with me gave me strength, knowing
    that everything was going to be okay, I am feeling weal in
    being insecure , lost, lonely without him.
    I will try and get some sleep, can't take anymore for pain,
    have to sleep upright for couple nights.
    Hugs, Blessings.
    Patti

9. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

Patti, it's me Karen just read your post. I understand your insecurity during this time. I know you miss Jack supporting you. Did you have any family with you? I don't know what kind of surgery you had or even if you shared, I think it was your eye?, but that's okay. Just rest, heal and we are with you in prayers. You are loved here on this forum. Karen

Patti 61 and Van Gogh like this.
  10. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

Patti,

I'm teary eyed reading this... I totally "get" how you're feeling. I felt the same exact way... so safe, secure, feeling like I could handle anything life threw my way, with Bob by my side. The world becomes such a lonely, scary place when your "person," the one who has your back, and you have his, no matter what, is no longer with you. It is the most intense, no words can possibly describe it, kind of pain... Knowing that no matter how much family and friends love and care about you, it just isn't the same as that very special love, that very special all will be right with the world kind of feeling, that you share with your "person." I know none of what I just said helps... but I want you to know I understand how you're feeling.

Please take the very best care of yourself you possibly can. I am so sorry you are in so much pain... I hope and pray that you heal as quickly as possible, and with as little pain as possible from this procedure.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, and the thoughts and prayers of all your friends here, at GIC.

Sending many, many hugs your way, and as always, wishing you peace, all of us peace. DEB

Patti 61 and Van Gogh like this.
  11. Gary166

Gary166 Guest

It’s so comforting to wake up in the morning and look at everyone’s posts and not feel so all alone. I’m hoping when Lou and George walk down memory lane today they will stay on the sunny side of the street. I know when I’m suffering the negative energy in the universe has more power over me. Like Karen said the weeds just keep coming and have to be pulled regularly. I don’t like suffering but sometimes it gives me the opportunity for spiritual growth where I can tap into the positive energy in the universe. George I’ve been thinking about you and Patti I’m thinking about you too and I hope you both have a good day. George you are so right how people are destroying themselves by their thirst for materialism. And it’s so good to see Deb interacting with nature and feeling the peace and connection with the great earth mother. Lou Blue blue skies smiling at me is such a wonderful feeling that someone is experiencing that today and I’m glad it’s you. I just realized that George is from Illinois and I’m from Indiana. The cloud belt yuck. I’ve been hoping to get out into the woods and put a tree stand up for deer hunting soon. Since Cheryl passed away I thought about giving up hunting from a tree for fear of falling. I’ve changed my mind and I’m not ready to give that up yet. I can’t keep living in the fear of dying. I’ll play it smart. I wear a safety harness and I don’t take chances. The fear of death came back after Cheryl passed away. The same thing happened to my mom after dad passed. I even went as far as to put grab bars in my bathtub. I need to walk through this fear and not let it paralyze me. It’s a full-time job to. I Posted another guided meditation. Peace. Gary

Attached Files:

DEB321, eyepilot13 and Van Gogh like this.
  12. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

George, as you can see from my middle of
    night post to Karen, and my reply to Deb
    this am, I was so focused today that I
    FORGOT it was Linda's birthday. But, I
    did recall that it was your sad wedding
    anniversary with Valerie and the sad
    anniversary of the death of Deb's husband,
    Bob. Hope you can find some serenity
    today. As I said to Deb, we're here for you.
    Lou

eyepilot13 likes this.
  13. eyepilot13

eyepilot13 Well-Known Member

Hey Lou!~ Talked through a session today with a hospice grief counsellor. Yesterday actually went to an in-person group. It was a bit bible-y for me but it was in a church so duh! ... Very positive community. They made me feel welcome. Dialysis was so hard yesterday. Too much thinking. Couldn't read. Hope to keep the sorrow demons at bay today. Valerie wouldn't want me to be upset. I know this.

DEB321 and Van Gogh like this.
  14. Van Gogh

Gary, you have complimented me as a
    go to leader, but I'm not as technologically
    efficient as you are. I am impressed, and
    grateful, for your attachments regarding
    meditation. My first grief counselor
    went on Buddhist retreats, and had a
    calmness about her. I went into a store
    and bought a little "Happy Buddha" which
    I placed next to Linda's memorial on my
    bureau. Next to that is a framed photo of
    ducks gliding on a pond, which gives me
    a feeling of serenity. Finally, and most
    importantly, a small jade elephant, which
    Linda & I had picked out together. The
    elephant is facing the memorial, as if to
    say, an elephant " never forgets", and
    neither do I. Gary, I know what you mean
    about not being so fearful, but I did smile
    when you mentioned the grab bars. I didn't see anything wrong with that, bc I
    tripped, cut one knee, and tensed up the
    other one, to the point that I had a hard
    time tying my sneakers & using the
    stairs. I went to a kind, young, married,PT,
    and cried that I missed Linda, bc she
    always came with me to medical
    appointments. I was fine after the PT
    helped me, but I've been more careful
    walking. On an amusing note, as I've said
    here before, I decided to be kind to myself
    and get a pedicure ( !). Linda would've
    laughed, bc I thought that was only for
    women. I had another young, married
    woman, who listened to me about Linda,
    while she did her job, and I cried again.
    I promised that the next time would be
    lighter. Lou

15. Van Gogh

George, what an excellent post! I'm proud
    of you for the 2 things you did. Like all
    of us here, you have a great self
    deprecatory humor ( in a church, so duh!),
    and I laughed.So sorry about your tough
    dialysis but I hope you'll have a much
    better day today. I had my weekly phone
    therapy today instead of the usual Mon,
    bc of Columbus Day, and I told the therapist that I was so focused on plans
    that I FORGOT it was Linda's birthday.
    When I remembered, I didn't cry like I
    usually do in the morning before I walk
    outside.

DEB321 and eyepilot13 like this.
  16. eyepilot13

Glad you got a chance to talk today to your therapist! Cool that my sense of humor made you laugh... Valerie always liked that about me. I remember when it was Valerie's last birthday... it was pretty rough on me a few days around there. I bet if Linda's anything like Valerie she's either real pissed or LHAO over your forgetting! So far, I don't feel as desolate. One thing I've been learning since I started the proActive grief process is that one can control their behavior whereas health and emotions can be out of one's control. It's not easy to control and it doesn't always feel like it works but I keep telling myself... I Can be positive. I can stop being guilty, I can discover and create a new life. I can do something. ... but this is so hard! When i talked to the hospice counselor today I think I was able to clarify some things in my head especially Self Forgiveness. I always forget to do this! Talk to ya later!

Van Gogh likes this.
  17. Van Gogh

So glad you talk with a hospice counselor,
    George. I was all set to join a loss of spouse
    group at a hospice center, when COVID
    hit. The director offered ZOOM, but I
    declined. I didn't want a "Brady Bunch"
    experience. I asked her if we could just
    talk on the phone, for a half hour every
    week, and she kindly fit me into her
    busy schedule. It was much more intense
    than my Mon am phone therapy sessions
    with Bob. Thanks for answering me today.
    I've been busy replying to Deb, Karen, and
    Gary. Lou

eyepilot13 likes this.
  18. eyepilot13

Today's a busy day in the grief-verse!

Van Gogh likes this.
  19. Van Gogh

Like many of us here, you have a way
    with words, and your clever humor
    shines through. I may have mentioned