*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

How to grieve with no support.

Discussion in 'Grief in Common Updates, Questions & Answers' started by Angie Berkey, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Angie Berkey

Angie Berkey New Member

Recently my mother died from a blood clot to the heart. My husband hated my mom, so I can't talk about anything with him. My mother in law hates me and my mom, so I can't talk to her either. My brother is MR so I can't talk to him. I am attending counseling, and that is helping somewhat; I also am reading a book on grief. My father is now really sick, and doctors say they don't know how long he has. It's unbearable to think I could go through another death. I feel alone. What do I do? Also in the book, I'm reading it had a message to send to others, so they know what you need and how best to approach you. I thought I was taking a good step being proactive, so there is no confusion. My husband called me a drama queen. "Why are you so high maintenance you get your own list? Is it really necessary to tell people how to treat you?" What am I supposed to do let people do things that don't help me and be miserable so I don't hurt other peoples feelings? What about my feelings I'm the one that lost someone why isn't it my feelings that are being considered? Does anyone have any advice?

2. Sciguy

Sciguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my mom suddenly last month. I am still trying to deal with it - and I am now caring for my father. It is a lot to handle. I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you, but at least you are going to counseling. Does the counselor have any advice on how to get help?

griefic likes this.
  3. Melissa Butler

Melissa Butler New Member

I am sorry about your mom. I have lost my mom two years ago. I have to say that some days it is not easy to miss your mom so much. I also found that not a lot of people will not understand what you are going through. My husband never got to know my mom, so I feel alone at times. My siblings don't want to talk about her because it is to painful. So I have found that what helps me through my grief is, I try to think of all the happy times, let myself cry because sometimes you need to cry. I also started writing poems of my feelings down. I also do things that make me feel close to my mom. She loved to bake, so when I bake I feel close to her. Also dont let others tell you how you should feel, this is your mom and your grief. Some days are hard but you can get through. I hope this helps alittle

griefic likes this.
  4. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Hi Angie, it's a good question. Of course the ideal would be if those around us knew exactly what we needed at times like these, and that they not only knew what to do but they actually did it. In grief, as in life, expectations play a very big role in how we view a situation. And just as we don't want someone having expectations on us for how to grieve or not grieve, I suppose we have to be careful with the expectations of how the people around us should respond or treat us. It's natural to feel that the response from your husband (or anyone who would be reacting this way) is unloving, or not supportive in the way we'd hope. But I think often this lack of response comes from a different place. Grief makes those around us feel powerless. They miss the old us, they just want us better. They want to fix it, they want to help and they just don't know how. And very often, this can be frustrating and sometimes that frustration may almost seem that it's at US, rather than the situation itself. In the end, we can't change anyone. Just as your spouse can't fix you or fix the grief, neither can his response be changed by you (no matter how hard you may try). Keeping the lines of communication open, along with (even a slight shift) in expectations and perspective can make a difference. And of course support from those who understand can be the biggest help of all. I think it's what draws grievers together and I'm hoping as you can see by the responses above, the kindness of this community and the validation to all that loss brings. I truly wish you well, and hope we can be a help to you here. All my best~

Meghantree likes this.
  5. Sciguy

Sciguy Well-Known Member

I think you are quite correct regarding expectations - those we have of others and those others have of us. Whenever they are not met (by either party), there can be issues. This applies to all aspects of life; not just the grieving process. Many people simply don't know how yo act around the grieving person. They don't want to say anything to upset you, so they may not speak of the deceased - when that may be all we want to do. I think you are also correct regarding the importance of communication. Let people know how they can help you...

6. Angie Berkey

Angie Berkey New Member

7. Angie Berkey

Angie Berkey New Member

Yes, my counselor said to think about what it is I want and find the best way to achieve it. Have discussions with individual people and let them know how you are feeling.