*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

How this works...

Discussion in 'Grief in Common Updates, Questions & Answers' started by griefic, Sep 19, 2016.

1. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

As our site is very new, it's not surprising that as people are finding us they're wondering, "how does this work?"
    While I think our site offers a lot to those who are grieving, what sets us apart from any other online support is the ability to create a profile, and search the profiles of fellow grievers.
    If you haven't already, go to "Make a Connection" and then "Find Others Who Are Grieving". There you can search for others, based on the criteria that is important to you.
    As we are a new site, I would recommend keeping the search rather general - perhaps searching by "Circumstances of your loss" or "Who Have you Lost". Including too much criteria could narrow the search.
    Once you find a list of people, you can view their profile. Click on "Information" to find out more about them, and there you can "Start a Conversation" which will send a private message that will be sent to their private email (notifications should be received in their regular email's inbox).
    We already have members from every state in the U.S. (and some outside the U.S.)...in time there will be a member in every town and every city, and members will be able to connect with each other in person, if they so desire.
    If you have any questions about this or any other part of the site, please feel free to leave it here or by messaging me directly.
    Thanks for being here - I'm glad you've found us...

2. Amysue

Amysue New Member

New here. Hoping to connect with others . Glad I found this. Thank you. Amy

sueboyd and griefic like this.
  3. griefic

Thank you Amy! Please let us know if we can be a help in any way. Take care...

sueboyd and Amysue like this.
  4. Amysue

Amysue New Member

Thank you. I am just looking for support, a place to grieve. Just to handle all of this.

sueboyd and griefic like this.
  5. KER

KER Member

I am new here, too, and so grateful to have found this site, knowing that I can connect with others who can understand what I'm going through.

Lori1972 and griefic like this.
  6. Laurie apps

Laurie apps New Member

Glad I found this site I'm pray it helps my grief ,is so so deep and getting worse.

Lori1972 and sueboyd like this.
  7. griefic

Hi Laurie, I'm glad you've found us too. I truly hope it will be a help, and please let me know if there is any way we can help you navigate the site...
    Wising you all the best~

8. Grammy6

Grammy6 New Member

So glad I found this site. I feel as if I am at the end of my rope. I have tried to cope with the loss of my husband who died 2 years ago on December 2, 2014. He had medical issues but he died unexpectedly in our bed n my arms. I am still struggling. He was my best friend, my soulmate n I can't seem to go on without him n don't know what to do. My friends n family try their best but it doesn't help n sometimes I feel as though they think I should just move on n stop grieving n be thankful for the thing I do have. It's not that I don't appreciate the things I do have but I don't want anything but him back. I know that is impossible n maybe I am selfish but that's how I feel. Does anyone else out there feel this way n how can I change this. Please I don't know what to do I just know I can't go on like this.

Patti 61 and Kathy McDougall like this.
  9. griefic

Hi Grammy 6, thank you for being here. I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles and all that you are going through. It is very difficult to move forward without our loved ones, and sometimes a very big part of that challenge is the lack of understanding from the people around us. It's exactly why this website exists and I hope you can find some comfort here. Please feel free to post your story under more than one thread (loss of spouse, for example) for many members to have a chance to see and respond. And as stated above in how this works, you can be searching for other members who have lost a spouse and connect with them one on one.
    If you have any questions or if we can be of any further help, please let me know. All my best~

10. I am a recently multiple loss survivor , and I exist

Dianne De Mott Levi likes this.
  11. Ellen C

Ellen C Guest

Dear Karen:
    I am also a multiple loss survivor, though my most recent is last May. However it seems like yesterday. My Mom...who was my best friend.
    I am very sorry for your losses and sadly....I know how you feel. Don't let people dictate to you how long the process takes to be able to start "living" again. The truth of the matter is that nothing will ever be the same and contrary to what is commonly believed....time does not heal all wounds. What is does is better equip you to manage the pain, deal with it and continue living as best you can. And grief is a very individual thing. Your true friends will understand and stand by now and this is when you find out who your real friends are. That also is painful. Believe me, I know because I found out the hard way.

Just be kind to yourself and feel your grief. Cry, yell, be silent...whatever you feel most comfortable with. Now it's about you and getting thru it. I don't know your personal situation, so I don't know if you have kids or not. Whoever there is to lean on, don't hesitate to do so. And certainly come to this site because there are many warm and compassionate people here. I have found comfort in reaching out myself and also helping others get through their pain.

For the most part, I am now alone and it's hard. All except for Kennedy....the beautiful cat in the pic. It's amazing how animals understand love the way that people sometimes are unable to.

I just wanted you to know you're not alone. Please reach out when you feel you must or just want you.

Wishing you comfort and strength in this difficult time.

All the best~Ellen

KER and griefic like this.
  12. Thanks Ellen , I lost my mother10-24-15 , my sister 11-19-15 , my boyfriend 6-13-16 , and my girlfriend 2-27-16 .
    I have family and friends , but it's like they don't understand and think I dwell on it too much .
    My sister was my best friend we did everything together . She was my biggest supporter always teaching and encouraging me .
    I took care of my mom the last four years of her life she was my baby . She had Alzheimer's and she became my precious baby . I miss her sweet face .
    My boyfriend and I were together seven years and I feel so lost without him .
    My girlfriend , we've been friends for thirty four years ,although I move out of state we still stayed in touch and when I went back to visit I always stayed with her.
    How do you not miss them and hurt for them ?

13. How can I take off my last name ?

Kathy McDougall likes this.
  14. Ellen C

Ellen C Guest

Dear Karen,
    I'll answer your last question first. How do you not miss them and hurt for them? You don't. I myself know that I will miss the people I have lost until the day I die. As briefly as possible.....my biological father abandoned me when I was 16 and my parent divorced. My Step-Dad (who I always just called him Dad, came into my life when I was 20 years old and literally saved me emotionally. I am now 63 years old. I loved him dearly and when he was 76 years old, playing golf and tennis and running every single day, he had a pain in his side. Long story short, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. He was gone in less than 2 months. Both my Mom and I were devastated. That was nearly 12 years ago. After a few months, I insisted that Mom go for a Pet scan because several years before she smoked. Turned out to be lung cancer. She had surgery and survived for another 9 years, however COPD and Congestive Heart Failure took her life in May 2015. I was her primary caregiver and we were extremely close. Not a single day goes by that I don't miss her and think of her. Holiday's are very tough and Mother's Day is unbearable for me, since she died a few days before. And on XMAS Eve of 2014 I found out the man that I spent 25 years of my life with, married for 19 years-was having an affair for the past 10 years. Our divorce became final this past June. Physically he's still alive, but surviving that kind of betrayal is very much like a death. I also buried my only daughter 15 years ago. She was 26 years old and died from leukemia. And if that wasn't enough to deal with, in April of 2015 I had to put my 19 year old cat to sleep. I had her from when she was 6 months old. I'm a huge animal lover and that knocked the wind out of me. However I adopted/rescued another wonderful cat and truth be told...she rescued me.

I really have no family left and yes, there are days when it's hard to breathe. How do you survive? Well, I just broke it down to 2 choices. I can keep living and do my best or I can lay down and die. I still believe that life can be good, so I opted for the choice that I know would have made my Mom and Dad proud of me, and that's the basis for how I live my life. Before my Mom died she made me promise to be OK and to be happy. And I'm a person who always keeps her word. She knew that. There was no way that I wasn't going to survive.

I find comfort in giving back and helping people a lot less fortunate than I am. Nearly everyone is fighting a battle of one sort or another. I volunteer in an old age home, visiting people who have nobody. Just to see them smile truly makes my day. And I also work in an animal shelter helping to socialize abandoned animals and get them ready for adoption. For me, that's pure joy.

My life isn't how I thought it would be, but it's not so bad.

You need to find your own space and make it your own. And then figure out what would make you feel better and go for it. There's always something. The people you have lost will always be with you...in your heart.

Be strong.

Take care~ Ellen

KER likes this.
  15. Kitty4597

Kitty4597 New Member

Hello. My husband died three weeks ago today. I am totally lost. He was my best friend. He was my everything and I was his. We were together for more than half my life. He was so young! only 44. I cry all the time. I haven't gone back to work yet & I'm not sure when I will be able to. Right now I can't go an hour without breaking down. I am a mess. To be honest I don't know what I'm looking for. Maybe to connect with somebody else going through this. I don't know. Right now I will try anything. Just looking for some help I guess. I have wonderful friends and family but they just don't understand. I don't know what it's like. So I guess I'm just looking for someone who understands. Thanks for listening.

16. griefic

Hi Kitty, thank you for joining us- I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I think so often grievers are feeling the way you do - with a great group of family and friends saying they'll help with anything you need, but the griever so often thinking "but I don't even know what that is!". This site is filled with people just like you - who have sustained a loss and are looking to connect. I think what people find in grief groups is the validation of all the strange and painful things you're feeling and the sense that as for as lonely as grief is, you are still not alone. I encourage you to give the site an opportunity to connect you with others. I have seen such wonderful support here and while the journey of grief is very long, it always helps to have someone walking with you on it. I wish you all the best~

17. Lisa Strydom

Lisa Strydom New Member

I lost my 19 month old daughter a year ago. And life suck without her everyday is a constant battle, torture and so draining. She is my life my world my everything. My life stopped the day she left.

18. Andrea Howey

Andrea Howey Member

Kitty 4597 ,
    I lost my husband 4 yrs ago I thought I would never get over this loss . I missed him like crazy then and still miss him like crazy . But someone told me at his service that when I walk out of there the first thing I had to do was find my new normal .
    - So today I am going to tell you Find your new Normal .
    - And find something he believed in and believe .
    I returned to work and many thought it was to soon . But that was what he would of wanted me to do. I got a tattoo with his handwriting to remind me everyday that he LOVED me . And I found something he truely believed in and learned to believe in it . Nobody can possibly miss him more than you do , but find your new Normal and then things will start taking shape .

SloMo likes this.
  19. griefic

Hi Andrea, what good advice! Thank you for sharing your ideas and what has helped you. Finding the new normal is the task I think every griever must work through eventually, and it seems you are doing just that and finding your way. Thank you for being here to support others. We wish you all the best as you continue to move forward~

SloMo likes this.
  20. Andrea Howey

Andrea Howey Member

Griefic ,
    I must say I don't have all the answers . But this gave me a new place in my grief to start . Everyones life moves on but the spouse . Especially the spouse that goes home to your home that you built together. And again nobody misses your spouse more than the spouse that was left behind . I wake up everyday with new questions . I was 49yrs old when my husband passed away , who has the answer to your questions . Nobody , because nobody you know has been through what you have been through . So you learn to make your mistakes and ask for help later . You look for your spouse in everything you do . I find a yellow butterfly almost always when I have a heavy heart , I believe it is my husband because my heart almost always comes off my sleeve and I find the answer that I was looking for . My husband believed everything happens for a reason . I found a lot of peace in that . So looking for a new normal is were you have to start .

Julien, SloMo and griefic like this.