*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Grandfather passing away

Discussion in 'Grief in Common Updates, Questions & Answers' started by Tanya1981, May 7, 2019.

1. Tanya1981

Tanya1981 New Member

I feel like I have to to strong for my dad and grandmother but inside I’m feel like I’m going to have a mental breakdown how do I grieve and still be strong for my family my pop passed away last Sunday’s and I’m a healthcare worker so I feel like I’f I don’t take time to grieve I will always have a heavy heart

2. TheyLiv

TheyLiv Member

Everyone grieves in their own way and at their own speed. I'm a mental healthcare worker and so I understand having to put on that professional face every day. There are so many things that you can do to help yourself grieve. I personally write letters to my daughter as often as I can. Realistically, I've been working nearly 80 hours/week as a coping mechanism...not necessarily something I would recommend but it's working for me right now. You have to be strong for others but you need to take care of yourself too. Maybe you cry at home when you finally sit down after work, or when you go to the bathroom, or on a smoke break at work. You have to take care of yourself in order to be there for anyone else. That is how you remain strong. It's okay to cry with your family. You're all suffering the loss in different ways. It's okay for you to not be okay too...but realize that there is support out there for you. The heavy heart is something that you don't have control over necessarily. It's part of the process. Take it one moment at a time...you will get there.