*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Dreading the upcoming holiday season

Discussion in 'Grief in Common Updates, Questions & Answers' started by cg123, Nov 3, 2019.

1. cg123

cg123 Well-Known Member

I lost my sister whom I lived with and was my best friend about 5 mos ago. She was the only family I had left. I am dreading the upcoming holidays because it will be the first Thanksgiving, Xmas, etc without her. We both moved to another state where I now live and do not have friends here. It is so hard because it seems like everyone else is looking forward to celebrating these holidays and I am all alone. How does one deal with this without going crazy?

2. Nija

Nija Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister, your best friend. You are right the holidays seem most difficult. Other people seem to be looing forward to the holidays and enjoying themselves on weekends. I had the sudden loss of my husband the day right after Thanksgiving, that year it was very difficult to look forward to Christmas and the New Year. This year the passing of my husband is November 28th this year which is Thanksgiving. I find it hard as the holidays approach. There are so many memories and reminders. I hope that you find new friends and you find healing in some way.

3. cg123

cg123 Well-Known Member

Thank you for responding. I am so sorry for the sudden loss of your husband the day right after Thanksgiving. I can imagine how difficult that was. Yes, the holidays are very hard especially since that is all you see and hear about. It does seem that everyone else is happy and celebrating the upcoming holidays. This will be the first holiday season I will be spending alone but I will try to deal with it because what other choice is there? Wishing you the best.

4. Nija

Nija Member

Thank you very much. I wish you nothing but the best. You said the exact statement that I always say to myself that I have no choice but to get through my grief. I'm sorry this is your first holiday season spending it alone. Soon the holiday music will be playing in stores.
    I sincerely feel your pain and that you will find comfort for now take each day one day at a time.

5. cg123

cg123 Well-Known Member

It seems that the holiday season starts earlier each year with decorations, lights, etc. Yes, the holiday music will definitely bother me but I will try to stay out of malls as much as possible and rely on online shopping until I feel stronger and able to better deal with things. Thanks.