*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Can not handle sudden death of my sister

Discussion in 'Loss of Sibling' started by ladyphoenixjaguar, Feb 26, 2019.

1. ladyphoenixjaguar

ladyphoenixjaguar New Member

My sister and I were a unique set. My mom had us both out of wedlock and we were the only two children out of seven that had her maiden name. When I was about fourteen months she and I were put into a hospital because of neglect and then into a foster home. We were eventually returned. When I was seven I was taken away again for multiple types of abuse, never to return home. My sister pattie and I kept connnected as much as possible and I did get to visit her some as a teenager. I always felt guilty for not being there because I knew she was probably suffering instead. As adults we were like twins always knowing what the other was feeling and going through. I was always very protective of her and talked and messaged her on a regular basis.
    March 2, 2018 the day before my wedding anniversery, my sister unexpectedly died. I had just talked to her two days before.
    I haven't been able to process this at all. I took her pictures down and avoid anything that will remind me of her. Since she died all my other siblings but one ignore me, I think it is because we looked so much alike and so different from them, that they don't want the reminder.
    I am terrified to try accepting and processing this. The only other significant death was my son of two weeks many years ago, and I ended up suicidal in state hospital for five weeks.
    I am raising three grandchildren and am afraid to give in to my loss in any way, but I m definately stuck in place and lost and not sure how or what to do. I have terrible nightmares when i do sleep, and don't want to go back to sleep after.
    I do not know where to begin.

2. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you lost more than just a sister - you lost a person you had a very special connection with. Someone who understood not only who you are now, but the history and trauma you both shared. Everyone copes differently and if you find putting her pictures away helps, than that's what you need to do. Grief is very instinctual and sometimes we just have to follow the wave it takes us on, at least in the beginning when we feel so lost and adrift. I do find for most that time and support is what heals the most. Time is not a miracle cure, but it does allow opportunities to adjust and adapt and to learn how to live a life without our loved one in it. The question of "what do I do?" after loss is such a common one, I wrote an article about it that you can find here: https://www.griefincommon.com/blog/what-to-do-if-you-dont-know-what-to-do-after-loss/.
    I'm glad you are reaching out for support. Connection can help, and we're here to support you in any way we can. Please take care~