*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Adoptive Dad Commited Suicide

Discussion in 'Suicide Loss' started by SirLuneth, Aug 6, 2019.

1. SirLuneth

SirLuneth New Member

My adoptive dad committed suicide 2 days before my 8th Birthday. I am now 23 (24 years old in 3 more days. ).

I have tried for years to deal with this grief and have just recently realized that I have not dealt with it but only hidden it away. Below is my story.

2 days before my 8th birthday, August 7th 2003, My adoptive mom and I went out to get groceries. My adoptive dad stayed home , he had Parkinsons disease and some days he just didn't want to go outside of the house. Little did I know that this day would be entirely different from all the other.

Once we were done getting groceries we headed home. We lived on 10 acres of land with 3 homes and 6 other people. All of whom were at their perspective homes at the time. Once home we went inside, and turned on the stove and oven to start dinner. (I do not remember what we were making anymore). We spent probably 10 - 15 min getting everything prepared. My adoptive dad was no where in sight and we were under the assumption that he was upstairs sleeping. It was not out of the normal for him to take a nap close to dinner time. Once dinner was almost done, my adoptive mom told me to head upstairs and go get him for dinner.

I did so, until, I got about half way up the stairs and something just felt off. I slowed down, then i heard the noise I will never get out of my head, the noise of gasps for air, and gargling, I froze. I didn't know what it was. I called downstairs to my mom. She came as soon as she heard me yell, together we walked into the room and there it was, My adoptive dad with a gun in his hand, and a sight i will never unsee, the worst part of all, he was still alive in pain but unconscious. My mom yelled at me to call 9-1-1, but i couldn't I froze. What was I to do, I wasn't even 8, i was startled, scared and I couldn't move. My mom yelled at me again and again until she ran to call herself. I still couldn't move - stuck there staring. This sight still engraved in my mind. Something I will never forget but Something I need help to get past now. ( There is more to this story if you would like to communicate. Message me or reply and I can continue but for now I am in tears and can't continue.)

2. tony13

tony13 Member

So sorry.
    My wife killed herself 10 years ago. On Christmas Day.
    I hope you have talked to a counselor. If not, you need to.

3. SirLuneth

SirLuneth New Member

I actually just saw a psychiatrist and am going to be attending group therapy here soon

4. tony13

tony13 Member

Excellent!
    Keep an open mind and be sincere in your effort to make things better. AND SMILE more often. It helps.
    Best of luck.