*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Sudden loss of my brother

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Kassy, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Kassy

Kassy New Member

Hi.

It's been 3 weeks since his sudden death. Even writing that panics me. I've seen 2 of my Doctors, so they know what happened. Yet I am unable to find a grief support group to attend.

I keep having these moments when I suddenly get a clear image that he's gone and it puts me into panic. I know it's only been 3 weeks but I feel like I won't be able to get past all this.

Thanks for listening

2. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Hi Kassy, I'm glad you have found the site, and I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a loved one is so challenging and each new stage brings different emotions that are so foreign to us. I have found that it helps to connect with others who have gone through the same thing...sometimes it feels like they will be the only ones who will understand. I hope you find the support and understanding that you need, and I hope we can be a help to you. Wishing you all the best~

3. I'm so sorry for your loss..I lost my younger brother 22 months ago..I keep panicking and still find it very hard to understand he is gone..xxx

4. Ellen C

Ellen C Guest

Dear Kassy:
    I am so sorry for your loss. Three weeks is not a very long time at all and you're likely still in shock.
    I am not that familiar with all the areas of Massachusetts and I don't know which city you live in, being that I am from New York. However I did find a website that you can check out. Southcoast.org
    They have an adult bereavement support group that meets regularly and in fact the next meeting is this coming week- March 16th from 3-4:30PM. You can call Southeast VNA @ 508-973-3227 to discuss their calendar and the services they provide. If it's not in our area, they can likely help you find something.

I don't know the circumstances surrounding your brother, but I can tell you that when I lost my daughter, Mom and Dad-all within the past 15 years, I found grief support groups to be very helpful and really aided me in the healing process. It's comforting just to be around people and share what you all are feeling deep inside. This site is also a "safe haven," for expressing your emotions, however there are benefits to physically being around other people and knowing that you are heard and understand.

Please accept my sincere condolences on losing your brother.

Give yourself the time you need and take good care of yourself.

Ellen

5. Krisha Ruhmann

Krisha Ruhmann New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I too lost my brother, it's been over 2 years but I remember vividly every detail about the occurance. And a certainly remember those panic feelings, when it hits you that the person is gone. I think about him all the time.

TLR and Rhiannon Lewis like this.
  6. Will be 2 yrs April 30th..been terribly low..flat..my birthday today. .wanted to crawl bk into bed..again..but glad I didn't as mum..dad..one of my sisters..and 2 youngest brothers came round..esp as it's Mothers day as well..We had a lovely fun afternoon in the end...The pain..realisation is always there..just a tear away..but we all have each other. .and He is within us..constantly. .forever..xxx

7. Still missing my little brother Eirion. .pain..deep grief..xxxx

8. Krisha Ruhmann

Krisha Ruhmann New Member

I imagine you are, I'm so very sorry.

9. TLR

TLR New Member

It takes a long time be kind and patient with yourself there is no time limit

Teresa Swope likes this.
  10. irene silbert

irene silbert Member

Hi Ellen, so sorry for all of your losses. My younger brother had a fatal, sudden heart attack this past Christmas Eve and am wondering whether you know how I can find a support group in Westchester NY or Southern CT? I agree with you that it can be comforting and helpful in dealing with the healing process. Thanks in advance. -- Irene

11. Teresa Swope

Teresa Swope Member

I also lost my brother about 3 weeks ago, was 01/19/18. He was killed in ahead on collision with a dump truck. I know how your feeling and I am so sorry. I actually drove up on the accident after it happened. I have horrible flashbacks, constant reminder cause I have to pass the accident site to get to town, everytime I see a dump truck I cry and I miss him so much. I totally understand your pain and I am here if you need to talk.

12. irene silbert

irene silbert Member

Thanks for reaching out Teresa. Did your brother have children? Wife? My brother has two grown children who are doing okay.

13. irene silbert

irene silbert Member

Hi Ellen,
    Would you know of any support groups in Westchester NY?
    Thanks in advance,
    Irene

14. Teresa Swope

Teresa Swope Member

No wife or children, just my mom and I. My father passed away 8 years ago