*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Lost my best friend

Discussion in 'Loss of a Parent' started by Jordan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Exactly one month ago my father passed away suddenly in his sleep. There is an empty space in my heart that feels like it will never go away. I feel so alone all the time. My friends wanted to be there in like the first week but you know life moves on. Well my life never really did go on. I am in such emotional pain I find it even difficult to breathe. I miss him so much.

2. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Jordan, I am so very sorry for your loss. There's never a good time or good way to lose someone we love, but when it happens suddenly it means there was no time at all to prepare. In loss we find we have to re-learn a whole new life. You father was your father for your entire life. Sounds obvious, but it's something to stop and think about. You have never known a moment without him in it, until just one month ago. Grieving, coping, and beginning to move forward means learning how to live without this person that you've always had with you (even if we don't see them all the time, just knowing they're there brings a comfort we don't realize until they are gone).
    The challenge is it's a change we never asked for and would never want. So we find ourselves fighting against the reality, and suffering with the void left behind. This whole process takes so much time and it takes a lot of support. I find speaking with people who can relate does help. I'm sure your friends do want to support you but they feel helpless and powerless to make any difference. Letting them know what you need even if you're not sure what that is, but just letting them know you need them to know how much you're still struggling can be surprisingly effective. And of course all of our members who can relate to the pain of loss are here to support too. I'm so glad you have found us and hope we can be a help. Please take care~