*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Husband in hospice

Discussion in 'Grief in Common Updates, Questions & Answers' started by MKlove, Jul 14, 2017.

1. MKlove

MKlove New Member

We brought my 66 year old husband home today for Hospice after one week in the hospital but many with Gastroparesis . We thought he would have a feeding tube, instead we have plans to stay goodbye as his stomach and intestines are tumor ridden. I feel grateful to have today to say goodbye. He can answer and focus, I know we don't have long.
    We've been married 30 years. I have read lots of your stories, thank you.

2. dcook326

dcook326 New Member

It may be hard, but I know you truly are grateful to be able to say goodbye. I was with my dad when he passed and I believe he waited until my brothers and sister and I were there before he let go. I was afraid he wouldn't hear me or understand me, but he did. I was blessed to be ther.

3. Sheila512

Sheila512 Well-Known Member

I had planned to be with him but after days of not being at home, I left to shower and return. I got there about 3 minutes after he passed....he may have planned it and kept wishing for me to leave. ...but I crawled into his bed and held him until the funeral home came. He was warm when I got there and I kept him warm....and he kept me warm. Good memories, believe it or not.

LindaH likes this.
  4. Sara K Hatch

Sara K Hatch Well-Known Member

Hi Sheila,
    I did the same after my husband passed. I sat next to his bed and held his hand for a long time. Just after he died i and our two kids sang "Amazing Grace" to him because this was his favorite song. When I was ready to leave him the man from the funeral home was in the hallway at hospice house. He and a nurse washed my husband's body and covered him with a beautiful quilt before they brought him out where we were waiting. We all kissed him goodby.

griefic likes this.