*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

A place for everyone to feel welcome...

Discussion in 'Grief in Common Updates, Questions & Answers' started by griefic, Dec 6, 2016.

1. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

When facilitating a support group, I typically start with a set of "rules". I don't love that word, as it can sound strict and inflexible, but that's not the intention. Instead, the idea is to set a tone that creates a warm and comfortable environment for every person participating in the group.
    And while we may not be sitting in a small room in a circle, I still hope that this site feels like a safe and inviting place to be.
    The "rules" talk about not judging another person's grief based on the circumstances or nature of the relationship with the person who has died. They also include the idea of not making assumptions about a person's religion, beliefs, or background.
    While faith and religion can be a very big part of some people's grieving, for others it is not. I've seen people with no prior faith become much closer to their beliefs, and some who were lifelong believers now questioning every thing they thought they knew. And in either case, they are neither right or wrong!
    While I often find the people I speak to who have a tremendous faith find great comfort in it, I want to be certain on this site that we are never making an assumption about a person's cultural background, or religious beliefs, or even make an assumption that they have any belief at all.
    It is always appropriate to share what has been working for you. We just always want to be careful not to make anyone else uncomfortable by speculating on their views.
    Remember this is the place where EVERYONE needs to feel comfortable and understood. In most cases, grievers are joining this site because they are lacking support elsewhere.
    We provide our best support to each other by sharing what has worked for us, while recognizing that it may not work for everyone. Let's always be sure to leave space for everyone's beliefs to be shared.
    Thank you for reading, and more than anything, thank you for being here!

Chrissy Morisette likes this.